11 Insane (But True) Reasons Why You Should Get Your Carpets Cleaned
THURSDAY, MAY 16, 2019
- Each year, several pounds of soil can accumulate in and under a carpet.
- Scientists believe that more than 43 million tons of dust falls over the U.S. every year. Indoor air usually contains about twice as much dust as the air outside. That’s a million microscopic particles in a cubic inch of air. About 2,000 dust mites can live happily on one ounce of carpet dust.
- A person sheds about 1.5 million skin flakes an hour, most of which becomes embedded in our carpets.
- The Norwalk virus or Norovirus (the virus that causes the stomach flu) can survive on an uncleaned carpet for four to six weeks, and it becomes airborne as people walk or roll across it.
- Your carpets are a germ hotspot and can be 4,000 times dirtier than your toilet seat and they can also have many different organisms living in them.
- Wall-to-wall carpeting is less healthy than smaller rugs because wall-to-wall carpets tend to be more permanent and harder-to-clean endpoints for moisture, chemicals, liquids, crumbs, and other spills that provide molds, mildew, yeasts, and bacteria (such as e-coli) with a rich and nearly continuous supply of nutrients.
- The “5 second roll” rule that many people believe in is completely untrue. If you drop something on the ground, it only takes an instant for germs to stick to it. Keeping your carpets clean is the best way to prevent food and air contamination.
- In the Middle Ages, floors were covered with rushes, which acted like a disposable carpet. If it got dirty, it was thrown away. Today, carpets are more permanent and vacuums often miss much of the dirt—and the germs.
- Microbiologists have identified air blown from a running vacuum cleaner as one of the five places in the home that has the highest numbers of germs. Other places include dish sponges, washing machines, bathroom toilets during a flush, and kitchen trash cans.
- When properly cleaned and maintained, carpeting may improve the quality of air through trapping allergy-inducing dust and allergens. Most people, however, do not clean their carpets correctly, which can actually exacerbate allergies.
- All carpet should be professionally cleaned a minimum of every 12 to 18 months.
Chem-Dry of CSRA would love to help you maintain a healthy and clean home. Be sure to check out our different services that we offer in the North Augusta area, and schedule a cleaning today!
BACK TO BLOGS